Saturday, August 28, 2010

Wild Turkey Parade

Almost every day for the past week, this family of wild turkeys parades across the pasture feasting on grasshoppers. And every day, at least two of them wander into the corner between the fence and gate, newly perplexed each time about how to get out and rejoin the others. 

I can't imagine why Ben Franklin thought they were such smart birds. 
You've probably heard of a "flock of pigeons" and "gaggle of geese," but a group of turkeys is called a "rafter." 

Here's a list of collective nouns for birds. 
I particularly like "an ascension of larks" and "a storytelling of crows."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wondered where you'd gone. Hanging out with turkeys? A dangerous precedent. :)

Wolfie said...

Glad you are back. :-) We have horse-eating wild turkeys where I am! OK, only kidding. But they can scare the crap out of you when they suddenly fly out of the trees.

Anonymous said...

I always heard it was "a murder of crows", which I like much, much better.