Sunday, August 1, 2010

Bobcat girl

Today, I found a beautiful female bobcat hit in the road. I've always wanted to see a bobcat up close, but not like this. She was such an extraordinarily lovely creature, it was extremely sad for me to finally see one this way.


Some people find sublime beauty in death. I can appreciate that to some extent, but when a wild animal  is killed by a car, I don't see the beauty, only the horrible waste.


Still, I was mesmerized by her body, her huge ears and paws, her lush fur, and the way she felt exactly like my cat when I picked her up. She'd obviously just been hit: bright, thin blood dripped from her nose. Her eyes were still bright green and wide open. As minutes passed, those green, focused eyes turned cloudy, and then, oddly enough, went blue.


Soon after, the nicatating membrane advanced over her pupils. Mercifully, only then, the death flies came.


From what I could tell, she had been young and healthy. There was no sign of cubs or recent nursing. So I placed her body in the shady woods near where she'd been hit; if she does have family or a mate, they will be able to find her and know she is gone.

May she rest in peace.

3 comments:

Wolfie said...

How beautiful...how sad. Unfortunately, when wildlife and humans are forced to mix, wildlife usually looses. It's a shame you had to see her this way.

ddalberg said...

What angers me is that that road is not a highway,the car shouldn't have been going too fast to stop. It's a big animal. I've never seen one in person in the wild. It's very very sad.

Kit Frazier said...

Oh, that breaks my heart. Those of us lucky enough to live in the country have an extra responsibility to take care of our four-legged neighbors. . .