Tuesday, July 27, 2010

highway fatality


The movement caught my eye as I rode past: one butterfly had been hit––smashed to the asphalt, but still alive––as the other fluttered around trying to help.

When I got close with the camera, the healthy one moved a few feet away, watching while I pulled the stuck one off the pavement. Unfortunately, that action separated its abdomen and it died within seconds as I lay it in the grass.

As often happens, despite my good intentions, things do not always turn out well. 

I hope her mate realized I was trying to help. I suspect butterfly karma may be a powerful thing.

2 comments:

Wolfie said...

When you see something like this, it really makes you think, doesn't it? I am sad that the butterfly died, but I chose to believe that its mate understood you were helping.

Unknown said...

Sending it on its way was probably a blessing you were there to deliver.